Lemon #57. Requirements to be at running HR
While reading ‘The hard thing about hard things’ from Ben Horowitz, we learned about how to be great at running HR:
What kind of person should you look for to comprehensively and continuously understand the quality of your management team? Here are some key requirements:
- World-class process design skills. The head of HR must be a masterful process designer, that means, excellent process design and control.
- A true diplomat. There’s no way for an HR organization to be effective if the management team doesn’t implicitly trust it. Managers must believe that HR is there to help them improve rather than police them.
- Industry knowledge. Compensation, benefits, best recruiting practices, etc. are all fast-moving targets. The head of HR must be deeply networked in the industry and stay abreast of all the latest developments.
- Intellectual heft to be the CEO’s trusted adviser. The CEO must trust the HR leader’s thinking and judgment.
- Understanding things unspoken. When management quality starts to break down in a company, nobody says anything about it, but super-perceptive people can tell that the company is slipping. You need one of those.
Ben Horowitz @ The hard thing about hard things.